Sunday, April 3, 2011

Camping Trip: Caprock Canyons State Park

Michael mentioned he wanted to go camping for his birthday which is April 4th. I did some research on camping sites close to Lubbock and decided to make a reservation at Caprock Canyons. It's only a little over an hour from Lubbock and wanted to start close to home for our first family camping trip.
Disclaimer: I am not too great at "roughin' it." I take at least two showers a day and don't care for bugs or dirt. We packed up the Durango and headed out Friday around noon.

Poor Me Max wasn't too sure about this. Harper wasn't phased by the amount of crap camping gear surrounding her.
"Do I have something on my ears?"
Michael: "Hey, it's a bison!"
Me: "Umm, I'm pretty sure that's fake."
We got the tent set up without killing each other.
It almost looks like we could relax in those chairs, but Harper would try to wonder off and play with the cactus.
It was pretty but not pretty enough to want to do this on a regular basis.

We stopped at the park by Lake Theo to pass some time.
She LOVED this tire swing. She kept saying, "Eeeeeeeee!!!"
Remember this dress from our last photo shoot? Like I said, good thing it didn't cost a lot because that dirt is never coming out...hence camping in a dress.
I thought it would be a fabulous idea to make some bacon and eggs for dinner. Well, being the very intelligent person that I am, I brought a plastic spatula. Not smart. It melted plastic to the bottom of the pan without my knowledge....until the taste test.
I forgot butter, so I fried some eggs in the bacon grease and toasted the bagel in the same pan. Remember the plastic spatula mentioned earlier? Yeah, Max wouldn't even eat the food. GROSS.

Before we even left Lubbock, I promised Michael at least ONE night of camping. We paid for two and didn't even last 24 hours. We got to the park at 2pm on Friday and was packed and headed home by 9:30 am on Saturday. Hey, at least I tried, right?!

No comments: