Sunday, July 28, 2013

Auntie Ann

On May 6th, I woke up to a ton of text messages starting with my mom telling my sisters and I that she had to call 9-1-1 early in the morning for Auntie Ann. She woke up to go to the bathroom but couldn't stand up. Her legs were weak, and she couldn't put any weight on them. Once they got the the ER, tests were run and initially thought it was from her back. A little later a CT scan revealed a brain tumor. She was being transferred from La Grange to St David's in Austin. 
Once she got there, more tests were run, and it was determined she needed to have a biopsy. Amy and I packed up and headed to Austin with Harper and SJ in tow. 

There was A LOT of waiting of the next couple of days once we got there. 
The girls were definitely a source of entertainment for Auntie Ann.
 The biopsy results showed a large inoperable glioblastoma multiforme. We were completely heartbroken. They sent her home with some appointments set to see an oncologist. We took this picture right before we headed back to Lubbock. I will cherish this picture forever.
The prognosis wasn't good. Without treatment, the doctor gave her a few months. With 6 weeks of radiation and chemo, he gave her up to a year. She started treatment soon after diagnoses.

On July 4th (only 3 days left of radiation), I once again woke up to a ton of text messages. Mom took Auntie Ann to the ER around 4 AM because there were a couple of small lesions on her leg that seemed to be infected. She was doing okay for a few hours, and they had determined she had a blood clot in her leg. She started to have some problems breathing and soon found out she had blood clots in her lungs as well. She had a fever, blood pressure dropped, and she wouldn't wake up. Around 2 PM, she passed away peacefully with my mom and my sister Misti by her side.

I'm sure some of you don't understand why the loss of an aunt was so heartbreaking. I mean, a parent, that's understandable. But an aunt? I'm sure I won't be able to find the right words to explain the importance she was in our lives.

Auntie Ann was my dad's only sibling. Auntie Ann never married or had kids, so my siblings and I were the only grandchildren. We grew up spending every holiday with her. After my granddaddy passed away, she moved to La Grange into my parents' house when I was in high school. She has always been a mother figure in our lives and loved us (and our children) like her own.

Heaven gained a wonderful person that day. It was very emotional going into the house after she was gone. It just wasn't the same. I find peace in the fact that she is with her parents and brother now...exactly where she wanted to be.

One of my favorite pictures :) Me and Auntie Ann when I was 3.

We had a private memorial service for her on July 12th in San Antonio. The older kids had a hard time saying goodbye. The two littles just kept reminded everyone that "Auntie Ann died. My mommy cried." Sweet babies. 

No comments: